1 kg pork belly
125ml Soy Sauce
2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
1 tsp fresh crushed garlic
Zest of 1 lemon
2 green chillies, depipped and finely chopped
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 bunch dhanya, chopped
Sea salt for the crackling
- Preheat your oven to 250°C.
- Remove the skin/rind from the pork belly and cut it into strips. Place the skin on an oven tray and sprinkle generously with sea salt.
- Place the skin in the very hot oven and roast for about 15 minutes until all the skin has “burst”. Remove from the oven and keep until serving.
- Reduce the oven to 150°C.
- Make a marinade with the soy sauce, water, ginger, garlic, chillies, lemon zest, brown sugar and chopped dhanya.
- Pour the marinade over the pork belly and cover the dish with tin foil.
- Place in the oven and slowly cook for about 3 hours, occasionally basting with the marinade.
To serve: Slice Pork Belly into thickish slices and serve with homemade noodles, using the juices from the roast as your “gravy” and top with the crackling. Serve with freshly steamed greens.