1 packet instant yeast
1 ½ tablespoons salt
2 tsp sugar
6 cups flour, plus extra for dusting
3 cups lukewarm water
- Mix the flour, salt, sugar and yeast together.
- Add the warm water to the mixture.
- Mix together until just combined. The dough will be very sticky so be careful not to over mix or knead the dough.
- Put the dough into an oiled bowl and cover with clingwrap.
- Leave the dough to rise in a warm place for about 4 hours.
- Turn out the dough, cut it in half and slide each half onto a baking sheet, making sure each loaf sort of forms a longish shape.
- Cut three slashes along each loaf and dust them with flour.
- Return the loaves to a warm place and allow the bread to rise for about 30 minutes.
- Place in the oven, preheated to 200°C, together with a small bowl of water.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes until golden in colour and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.