1 onion, chopped
1 tsp crushed garlic
2 tsp mixed herbs
100g chicken liver, chopped
300g bacon (thin streaky rindless)
500g pork mince
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
100g shelled whole pistachios (optional)
- Line a loaf tin with the sliced bacon. Chop the remaining bacon.
- Heat a little oil in a pan and fry the onions, garlic and mixed herbs.
- In the meantime, mix the liver, mince, bacon and spices together.
- Add the cooked onions to the liver mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into the lined tin and fold the loose bits of bacon over the top.
- Place in a deep baking tray, half filled with water.
- Bake at 180°C for about 1 hour or so – it needs to feel quite firm when you press on the top.
- Preferably leave the pate to cool in the fridge overnight.
- To remove the tin, dip into hot water for a second or two and turn over.
- Serve a slice of pâté with stenalder bread and pickles or sauerkraut.