2 x A4 sheets confectionery rice paper
500g castor sugar
350g liquid glucose
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg whites
100g butter, softened
2 cups roasted almonds
1 cup dried cranberries
- Place one sheet of rice paper into the bottom of a rectangular cake tin (or use a medium sized tin foil roasting pan). Keep the other for the top of the nougat.
- Place the sugar, glucose, honey and vanilla in a saucepan over low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Place a sugar thermometer in the saucepan and increase the heat to high.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 7-8 minutes.
- While the sugar is boiling watch the temperature and when it reaches 130°C, place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric beater and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- By now the temperature of the syrup should be 137/8°C. Remove it from the stove and wait about 30 seconds for the bubbling to slow down.
- Slowly add the sugar syrup into the egg whites in a thin steady stream, whilst still beating on high. Beat for a further 1 minute.
- Gradually add the butter, whisking well.
- Finally fold in the nuts and cranberries and mix well.
- Working quickly spoon the mixture into the tin and then cover with the remaining rice paper. Press down to flatten.
- Set aside to set in a cool, dry place for about 8 hours.
- Once set, remove from the tin and cut into desired sizes. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.