1 bottle of the largest, crunchiest green olives
1 bulb garlic
1 handful each fresh thyme and oreganum
Salt and coarse ground black pepper
About a cup of Olive oil
- Drain the olives and place them in a bowl.
- Cut the bulb of garlic in half and place the bottom half in with the olives.
- Squash the rest of the “halved” garlic cloves with a heavy knife and add the squashed garlic pieces to the olives.
- Cut the lemons into rough pieces and squeeze all the juice into the olives. Add three or four of the lemon pieces to the olives.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and a generous amount of coarse black pepper, together with the sprigs of herbs .
- Finally pour in about a cup of olive oil – or more if you wish and then give the mixture a good shake.
- Leave the olives to marinade for a day or so, turning and shaking them every few hours.
- If you wish to keep the olives longer, place them in a sealable far and keep in the fridge for a few weeks. The longer they marinade the tastier they will be!