500g boneless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
A little sunflower oil
1 onion, chopped very fine
2 tsp crushed garlic, 2 tsp ginger
A handful curry leaves
1 whole chilli
1 carrot, 1 celery stalk and 2 leeks, very finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon curry powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 cup red lentils
1 ½ litres water, salt and pepper
1 cup coconut milk
Juice of 2 lemons
(optional – green basmati rice for serving)
- Place all the dry spices into a pan on high heat and dry fry them, stirring constantly, for a minute. Leave aside.
- Heat a little oil and fry the onion, chopped vegetables, curry leaves, chilli, ginger and garlic.
- Add all the spices and mix well.
- Add the chicken and allow it to seal.
- Mix in the lentils and then pour in the water.
- Reduce the heat and place a lid on the pot. Simmer the soup until the lentils are soft.
- When the lentils are very soft add the coconut milk and lemon juice and mix well. Check the seasoning and add salt.
- To serve place a spoonful of green basmati rice in the bottom of the bowl first and then top with the Mulligatawny.