1kg butternut, peeled and cut into smallish pieces
500g baby beetroot, peeled and cut into smallish pieces
A few torn bocconcini or feta cubes
A few stems of coriander
A handful of pumpkin seeds
1 packet baby spinach leaves (or rocket)
For the dressing:
¼ cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Rind of ½ lemon
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ cup boiling water
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander seeds
½ tsp cinnamon
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Salt and coarse black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Mix the paprika, cumin, coriander seeds and cinnamon together and place them in a frying pan on high heat and dry roast them for a minute.
- Place the butternut and beetroot pieces on separate oven trays.
- Mix the dry roasted spices with the rest of the ingredients for the dressing and pour all over the butternut and beetroot. If you have extra dressing, keep it aside to use as extra dressing on the salad when it is finished.
- Place the butternut and beetroot in the oven and roast for 15 -20 minutes or until just tender. Allow to cool.
- Place the pumpkin seeds into a frying pan on high heat and dry roast them until they start popping and becoming slightly browned.
- Place the baby spinach leaves on a flat platter and throw around the beetroot and butternut pieces on top.
- Dot the torn brocconcini/feta pieces around.
- Sprinkle the dhanya, and pumpkin seeds all over the salad and drizzle the left over dressing from the roasting pans (or what you kept behind) on the salad.