1 packet Rosmarino (rice pasta)
Olive oil for frying
2 tsp garlic
1 tablespoon mixed herbs
2 onions, roughly chopped (NOT sliced)
3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
3 peppers, assorted colours, roughly chopped
1 tin whole peeled tomatoes
¾ cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
A large handful black olives
2 tablespoons capers (or caper berries to be fancy!)
6 anchovy fillets
Salt and pepper
Fresh basil leaves
- Boil the Rosmarino in a pot of rapidly boiling water with salt and oil for about 15 minutes or until the grains are just el dente. Drain and refresh with cold water.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and fry the onions, garlic, herbs and celery.
- Add the chopped peppers and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Chop the tinned tomatoes and add them, with their juices to the pan.
- Add the vinegar and the sugar and seasoning.
- Reduce the heat and allow the dish to simmer until most of the juices have evaporated.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Add the olives and capers and the roughly chopped anchovies.