2 rolls bought puff pastry
5 large eggs
2 tablespoons flour
1 large strip of lemon rind
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Cut out rounds of puff pastry a little bigger than the size of a medium muffin tin.
- Place the pastry in the tin, making sure the sides come right up to the top of the lip.
- Mix the eggs, sugar and flour together, making sure the flour doesn’t form any lumps.
- Pour in the cream and lemon rind and mix well.
- Place in a pot and heat slowly, stirring continuously.
- As soon as the mixture comes to the boil remove it from the heat and allow it to cool in a bath of cold water. (or pour it out of the hot pot into a bowl to prevent the eggs from curdling)
- Spoon the mixture into the raw pastry cases (about ¾ of the way up the pastry) and place in the oven.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until the pastry is golden and the filling has set and has a few darkish spots on it.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- Sprinkle with sugar and freshly grated nutmeg or cinnamon before serving.